Friday 28 March 2014

What I am doing on Mother's Day

Mother’s Day is fast approaching a UK audience; the television screens are inundated with adverts of flowers, cakes, chocolates, cards, and music from the kind of groups a mother now would have been listening to in her teens. Of course, some teens are listening to music now and being a mother, which can only be a confusion of the senses.

So while many of you will be attending some kind of family ritual celebrating the fact that a woman gave birth to you and offered to rear you into the adult world, I will not be. Instead I will be trying to forget that I no longer have a mother by immersing myself into my world.

I have been giving this some thought over the last couple of hours and decided to celebrate my mother’s lost life by going back to the 80’s, a truly great time of my life, in movies.

Netflix has a beautiful array of movies from the Eighties; Top Gun is on there; The Color of Money (that little recognised Scorsese/Cruise team up); Short Circuit 2 is there; and then there are the three that will make up my Channel 5 inspired movie feast.

Weird Science
Running Scared
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off 

These are my chosen delicacies for Sunday, together with a hot dog and a couple of beers. I will devour them while wearing leg-warmers and then act like the coolest geek in the world watching Ferris perform the kind of ilder-day that I have always dreamed of. It will be a treat, and I will raise a glass to my mum as I remember her.

So to all of you out there who do not or cannot join in with Mothering Sunday, do something that you like to do and celebrate yourself.

Zac Thraves

currently reading: A French Novel by Frederic Beigbeder; just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (dismal); currently watching: Fringe, via Netflix; last movie watched: The Life of Pi (deluded); currently drinking: Lucozade as feeling like crap. 

No comments: