Friday 24 May 2019

Life - Keep it Surreal

Life...

Bruce Forsyth used to sing that is was the name of the game and he wanted to play the game with us.

He also used to ask us if we wanted to go higher or lower, which was not a question about our state of mind.

So what's it all about...Alfie? Well, perhaps it is this:

Life is about how you see the world and how you react, and about you individually.

Meaning, that it is what you make of it. For instance, if you see life as pretty harsh having always dealt you a bad hand, guess what...it will be.

Picard: Make it so Number One.

If you see life as pretty crazy and chaotic and all you can do is ride the wave, then guess what...

I see life through a pair of binoculars set to surreal. Yes, it has its moments of harshness and unfairness, and if I wanted to sit and watch breakfast news every day I would leave the house ready to slit my wrists, so I don't watch that, and I don't do that, because however vital it is that we all buckle down and prepare for life after Brexit the ultimate reality is, who gives a fuck. It's not a biggie in my life. Losing my mother to cancer is a biggie in my life, not some useless politicians acting like fucking children.

Life is your life. Your own ideas and interpretations and needs and desires. In the great picture of my own life I don't witness a lot of violence or hatred, great. I know some people do and they have to choose their own life. Yet I still have my own demons and problems that I deal with. This idea that there is one single answer to everything is utter nonsense and leads me into thinking how surreal our world is if we think that we are one collective thought after another. Useless politicians think that just because one person says something that means everyone says it. Wrong. Go back to start.

Think about how you view the world, is it a bit crazy? Or is it plain dull? Perhaps it is a place of violence to be feared or excited by. Or maybe it you think that life ends when the football season does and only restarts in August; like a butterfly you emerge again. In which case you are all right, because that is your reality.

So while I wanted to say you in my message for this piece to keep it surreal for a good life, that is actually wrong. Keep it however you choose to keep it. It is your life, you choose it. And all that bull about it being unfair and you never do what you want is your choice. You choose to see life that way, and if you don't like that...guess what?

Change it.
Salvadore Dali's L'Enigme

There are many moments of surreal stuff that happen in my life. Mostly of my own making and thought processes. Sometimes it stops me and sometimes it spurs me on. But it is a tap of constant running thought dripping over the edges and falling into a wheel of fortune that churns the butter over the road that I walk. So while trying to halt it made me mad, I have learned to actually just go with it, enjoy it, explore it and generally just allow it in with a lovely pair of slippers and let it sit by the fire to think.

I don't have a fire, I live in a modern house where the designers considered the idea of a family all sitting together in one space and decided that was not a way forward to create a good atmosphere. So they didn't put a focal point in, it is now the television.

Therefore, I keep it surreal to make my own focal point. And there it is, my life in a nutshell. Today, it is something that I like.

Tomorrow could be very different, and that's what makes it beautiful.





No comments: