Saturday 9 January 2016

A Paper Free 2016

A couple of years ago I decided to try and do a year without using paper; while I felt it was a success there were times I didn’t stick to the rules. 2016 is going to be different, I will not buy a diary this year nor use a notebook. I will be completely and utterly paper and pen free, both at home and at work. This could be interesting as I aim to get a new business off the ground, and this time I have rules, they are as follows:


The rules of going paper-free
I cannot use or buy a newspaper or magazine
I cannot buy a book, either second-hand or new
I can use the library
I can continue to subscribe to Empire magazine as it is already paid for and I get a free tablet version
I cannot write using a pen and paper, all my writing will have to be on a pc or on the tablet
I cannot use a diary

So what will I be using?
My phone as my personal assistant, it will be my diary, my notebook, as well as my source of information.
I can go to the library and take books out, but will have to use the Kindle for personal reading.
I will use my Kindle Fire as my buddy, giving me access to everything that I have access to already: books, social media, music, and movies.


CD’s and DVD’s contain paper elements in the packaging, so they are out. Downloads only if I want some music and a DVD will have to wait until 2017, although I can use Lovefilm who I am with.

Let’s see how far I can go without using any paper whatsoever and if it makes a huge difference to life in general. 

But what is the point of this? Well, it is better for the environment for one; but I am intrigued to know if technology today can enable us to be paper-free, and if so what that could mean. I am excited to be reliant on modern technology, having downloaded apps on my phone including Word and a dictaphone. This could be the start of something new.

I will, however, miss my moleskine diary!

No comments: