Tuesday 3 April 2018

I Am The Avenger

I AM THE AVENGER!
















Copyright Fabled Lands Publishing and available to buy here:
The Way of the Tiger at Amazon

At least, I like to think so, having grown up reading books such as The Way of the Tiger series and Fighting Fantasy. What did these books teach us immoral children?...I'll tell ya':

HOW TO MAKE BLOODY DECISIONS!

Something which I am finding in my adult phase of life is not the strongest of skills held by the generation a few rungs below. You can rest assured that a suggested point of contact, whether it be a pub, cafe, store, will change in the minutes between all agreeing and the actual time of first contact. It seems to be some sort of ridiculous ritual of indecision and no one dare take control of the situation for fear of becoming a social outcast.

So, from this point on I shall be known in certain circles as The Avenger, which neatly links me to the famed 1960's television series as well as the current crop of immortal heroes dancing across our screens via the Marvel Megalithic Marathon.

The Avengers within the hallowed grounds of the British Isles were not costumed gods, but suited and booted spies with poisonous umbrellas. That is more me than a man in an iron suit. Steed and Peel all the way, unless you refer to the amazingly bad movie from the late 90's which has still not managed to get to the fabled land of 'so bad it's good'. Perhaps it is best forgotten.

(I quite liked it)

So what is on the agenda this week? Currently I am being greedy with three (3) books and I cannot make a decision as to which one to run away with. AH! The Avenger!

Embers of War by Gareth L Powell is a beautifully written space epic which takes the reader to the outcome of a major conflict. 

The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard brings us to a war-torn Paris almost destroyed by The Great Magic War. It's beginning is stunning and builds a ride from there.

Planetfall by Emma Newman has such a wonderful richness to it that the world is so clear as soon as the words fall into your brain.

These three authors are truly remarkable and fully deserving of the accolades that they are receiving; I, as an undiscovered author with just a couple of Kindle offerings to my name, has seen inspiration levels increase while reading these works and I have become suddenly excited about writing again after a good few months of feeling morose about the whole shebang.

I'm not one for reviews; when I saw Black Panther I thought it as amazing, that's it, reviewed. But then I think that I should go more in depth about the themes and emotions. Does anyone actually care for someone else's in depth opinion when all you really want to place on the property is a quote that says, "AMAZING!"

Anyway, I will have to tune in to my tiger training and focus on one of these books in order to fully immerse myself within the world. Perhaps I could use a method that was successful in the Eighties for Bruce Forsyth in Play Your Cards Right.

"Higher or lower than a Planetfall? Higher? Higher?"

I have some really exciting projects on the go, all connected and I hope to get some traction soon. Have yourselves a merry old time.

Zac Thraves is a writer and performer based in Kent, UK. 






No comments: